Monday, July 28, 2008

New Music Monday

Newish stuff I'm listening to right now:

1. Beck's new album, Modern Guilt. I'm enjoying the Violent-Femmes-tinged Gamma Ray. Also love the killer drums on the spacey Chemtrails. This song was reminding me a bit of the crashing choruses of the Smashing Pumpkins, and lo and behold, the drummer, Joey Waronker, has also appeared on recordings by the Pumpkins. I'm still getting into this album, but so far, me likey.

2. Ear candy - Kate Nash and Rihanna. Kate Nash comes from the Brit School (fellow alums - Amy Winehouse and Adele). Love this song, Pumpkin Soup. I know Rihanna's album has been out for a while, but, Umbrella really is a monster of a pop tune (if you can get past the lame rap by Jay-Z at the beginning), and I just can't seem to get sick of it, try as I might.

3. Ladytron. My bud Lara has been talking about this band for a while, but I am just now getting around to them. Great sound -- check out a live version of their Goth-and-80s-sounding High Rise.

No comments: