Monday, June 16, 2008

new music....

No long sob story this time, just some new music I've been enjoying. Now that I'm past the age where I can stay out late in bars and check out new bands, and now that most music labels are past the age of being viable in this digital world, I'm discovering that I'd probably would have really enjoyed being an A&R rep. Oh well!

1. Esperanza Spalding -- saw her on Leno this week. It's difficult enough to play an instrument while singing. But to play syncopated stand-up bass and sing like Ella, that's just wrong! Precious

2. Jamie Lidell -- Ok, not a new find, but I just went and saw him (for the 4th time) recently at Bimbo's. He's a British blue-eyed soul singer, but also a superb electronic musician. Here's his older hit, "Multiply" He also penned the song "A Little Bit More" featured in a Target commercial. His new album "Jim" is chock-full of classic-sounding soul songs, and is one of the best albums I've purchased in a long time.

3. The Ting Tings. I seem to like all those i-Pod commercial musicians, like Feist and CSS. This duo rocks! Have any new music to share? Discuss!Great DJ

No comments: