Wednesday, June 25, 2008

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Greta makes it sound so easy -- she wants to be a princess. But, I always struggle with this one, and everyone else probably does as well. Especially difficult, at least for me, is attempting to straddle the music and law worlds. Last night, I sang at an open mic with the keyboard player for Etta James. His name is Dave Mathews, and he was really cool and encouraging. Nights like these make me regret not pursuing music more seriously. But, then, the life of a musician is often a struggle. Isn't it better to juggle the stable job and fulfilling hobby (tiring as it may be)? In fact, people who are happy with their chosen professions always make me suspicious. It's human nature to want something more or different, right? Not too long ago, I found a printout that my high school guidance counselor gave me, telling me to pursue law and music. The moral is, maybe we weren't meant to be just one thing when (if) we grow up. And part of growing up is simply accepting it

No comments: